From a little man with pan

Blog has been updated with new images!!!

My little brat has been through a fussy, non-eating patch lately. No matter what I offered him or how I offered him, it didnt seem to awaken his appetite. After going through all the tested routes -  from ignoring to forcing, not giving anything for eating to bribing, I finally consulted the all-knowing Nano, his grandmother, who after raising five children from pampers till partner-selecting, and then helping all five of us in our respective roles of parenthood, is certainly the best advisor the entire family loves to rely on in situations like these. And there she has it again!

She has just made me realise that its basically me who needs to start accepting the fact that my baby is actually no longer a baby. The naughty little man is going through a phase where he wants to show his mom that he too has got some powers now -  power to refuse things, power to do things on his own, and that he needs a bit more freedom!

So, I am trying to revise my feeding methods now by giving him more liberty to do few things on his own. Yesterday, I let him peel the egg shells and the look on his face after discovering what was inside made me literally smile to ears. He has been helping me with setting the table for quite some time now but helping mom in loading the dishwasher is a recent addition to the "allowed" items, thus, a great motivation to finish the food on the plate without having the parents to struggle over.

The new therapeutic approach is working pretty fine for us and while my little prince is joyfully taking a well-deserved nap after helping his mom in mixing the batter for these beautiful pancakes today (by the way, we both enjoyed them in lunch), you may like to have a look at the recipe that Ive found lately on Coleen´s Recipes. She has named them the "Best Pancakes", and to be very honest, after having them made a couple of times during the last two weeks, I must confess, she had been veryyyyyyy accurate in her claim. These are indeed the fluffiest pancakes Ive made to date. Just ignore the images Im inserting in here - these are not as tall as Coleens for the reason that my darling helper had just overmixed the batter this time but if you follow the recipe PRECISELY and your leavening agents (baking powder, baking soda) are fresh, they DO puff up as much as hers ;) Update: check the new images!

Tip: Do check out this useful video on "how to cook pancakes" in case you no experience of making pancakes before!









AND HERE ARE THE ONES IVE MADE THIS MORNING:)


 


The Best Pancakes 

The recipe makes only 8 small pancakes but you can easily double or even triple it to feed a bigger crowd.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup milk
2 tbs white vinegar (5 % acidity)
1 cup plain flour
3 tbs sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (I took 1/4 tsp)
1 egg (M)
2 tbs melted butter
1 tsp vanilla / few drops of vanilla essence






First make the soured milk by combining the milk with vinegar, and set aside for 10 minutes.









Sieve together flour and the baking agents. Add in sugar, salt and mix with a spoon.




 

 

Whisk together the melted butter, egg, vanilla and the soured milk in a seperate bowl.
Tip: I have noticed that the thicker your batter is, the taller and fluffier your pancakes will turn out in the end.




Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add in the liquid mixture.





Stir until MOST of the lumps have dissolved but DO NOT OVERMIX. Few lumps are GOOD. ( In case youre also making it with the young-ones around, just forget about this - their expertise in overmixing batters wont allow them to stop!).



This is the over-mixed version produced by my little helper



Update: this is how it should actually look like...




The batter will have a thick consistency and that is exactly how you want it to be! Put aside for 10 minutes. You will see bubbles appearing on the top. The leavening agents are actually working together with the soured milk and producing
carbon dioxide gas which will then be trapped in the pancakes while cooking, making them rise to heights of fluffiness. Yes, my dears, that exactly is the science behind the tall, airy, fluffy pancakes that make you drool like a hungry puppy! Tip: DO NOT STIR AT THIS STAGE!







Heat and butter a frying pan (as flat and even as possible) and place about 1/4 cups batter on it. Tip: Use the back side of the spoon to spread the mixture towards the edges or just leave as it is!





Cook until you see bubbles appearing on the top. Tip:You may also like to add fruits to the pancakes while still cooking, Ive added frozen berries. Carefully flip with a large spatula and cook further until golden brown.











Serve warm with butter, honey, maple syrup, powdered sugar-cinnamon blend or any fruit compote of your choice.




Results of an overmixed batter


The real tower





Weekend is around the corner, if you havent already planned making the ultimate Eggs on Rösti, this one is another great breakfast idea you might like to try. Look at the cakey texture people, arent they making you feel like digging in right away?????





Love

Comments

  1. Looks super fluffy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Umm Mymoonah:)Im sure youll love the taste as well...

      Delete
  2. wow they look awesome ! can we use buttermilk instead of milk+vinegar ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure Reshmi, I often make pancakes using buttermilk and they also taste very good but these are a lot more fluffier in texture and rise even more. You might try replacing the vinegar with lemon juice for making soured milk.

      Delete
  3. I made these now. They were perfect! Soft and fluffy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wowwww...You were quick:)Arent they great??
      (please share your name next time, I hate starting my replies with dear Anonymous:)

      Delete
    2. My name is Abida, Im the one who was asking you for an alternate donut recipe, do you remember? :)

      Delete
    3. Anything sweet, that too, if you post, mashaAllah I know its gonna be gr8. So I don't delay trying it out.May Allah reward you for your efforts, I know compiling this blog is not an easy job :)

      Delete
    4. Ofcourse I remember you:) and so sorry, I havent been able to find a better recipe for doughnuts yet. But im sure, the pancakes were good enough to make up for them;)

      Delete
    5. I had halved the recipe and made just 2 big ones. Im in India, and maple syrup isn't so common..do you have any ideas of options to have pancakes with, besides honey and blue berries? Also, though I added only half an egg, the pancakes still smelt eggish :), though I added vanilla. Can I add something else to get rid of the egg smell?

      Delete
    6. And thanks a million for all the duas. It is a lot of work indeed but believe me, a good feedback literally makes the entire effort pay off:)Plz keep sharing your views and critic. Love

      Delete
    7. Read the post carefully:DDDD I have given many alternate suggestions. You can try them with bananas, raisins, dried cranberries, even ricotta cheese (home made) are good options for adding into the batter. Honey, fruit compotes, nutella, vanilla sauce etc to serve alongside.
      And Id once heard someone using one tbs honey in the cake batter to get rid of the eggy smell, but not sure whether itll work for pancakes as well.

      Delete
  4. pancakes look so delicious and soft....yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CaySera...Im glad that you liked them:)

      Delete
  5. Hey Fatims, is Zille (from paderborn) ur friend ????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes..one of my besties:DDD How come you know her??

      Delete
  6. She is a good friend of me too.... spoke to her tonite abt u :)...inshallah would love to meet u in Paderborn when u come over here..(this is whr i live too) what say...would be fun na :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made them today for breakfast ! & totally enjoyed them mine also didn't puff-up much but taste was good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fati, they DO puff up, but one really needs to be a bit careful while mixing and with the leavenings. Plus the resting time and shape of the pan also matters..But thanks a lot for giving it a try but where is my share, havent seen any picture on FB???

      Delete
  8. My kids love pancakes. These look so fluffy and brilliant! lol! And it uses everyday pantry items. Sounds like a winner to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. my mom's pancakes are similar to this recipe ... bt the sour cream is new to me.. ll try nex time & happy to follow u..

    http://hasnasdelights.blogspot.com/2012/01/pancakes-with-nutella-sauce-hadis-fav.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds delicious...cant wait to giv a try..
    btw..thanks for your inspiring feedback & here's the step by step recipe of rasgulla
    http://tastyappetite.blogspot.com/2011/07/rasgulla-bengali-sweet-step-by-step.html

    do giv a try & lemme know..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  11. They were the best pANcakes I ever tasted....truly PAN CAKES....love love them....I made them for lunch too....Just perfect...will post up the photo soon...which i managed to capture just before attacking them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can we use 1 cup allpurpose flour instead of plain flour+Baking powder+baking soda?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All purpose flour is the same as plain flour:)

      Delete
  13. schee your pancakes looks amazing i have one question before making them did u feel any smell or taste of vinegar ?and i have normal one which we use to make salads and cooking can i use it ?and second one when mix all thing and bubble comes on top then don't stir it ?just i have to take batter and make it as u said ?please reply me soon i am waiting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and sorry for replying late...weekend means a house full of guests for me with very little time for my PERSONAL activities..hope you understand what I mean;)
      In case you havent made them yet, here are the answers youve asked for:
      - NO, you wont feel the taste of vinegar AT ALL:) Trust me and put it in blindly!!
      - Read on the back side of the vinegar bottle, mine is with 5% acidity (not vinegar extract with 25 % that we use for cleaning purposes) and I also use it for making salads etc. I assume you have the right one, just give it a try...:)
      - Yes, dont stir once the bubbles start appearing. And dont mix too much even before that stage. Lumps are absolutely fine:)
      - Again yes. Take some batter without stirring it and place directly on the frying pan.

      Do let me know how they turned out:)

      Delete
  14. thanks, you explain me well i'll make it soon and reply u.thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you enjoy the recipe, and thanks for the shout out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Fatima,
    Tried your pancakes recipe and they turned out toooo good. soft and cakey, fluffy any yummy. I must say that your recipes have the finesse and authenticity to be blindly followed, making my life easy :) Thanks a million and jazakall. Keep up the good work. (the pan cakes platter was attacked before i could do some suger dusting for a picture, will take one inshallah when i make them again).
    Ayesha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello....

    I made these and they r great..first time i made REAL pancakes....!!

    thankyou so much..
    Ayesha

    ReplyDelete
  18. when i added 2 tbsp white vinegar in the milk it curdled the milk with in no second I check your pic mine wasn't like yours i used 5 percent acidic one and I used whole milk what I did wrong ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont think you went wrong anywhere Kanwal, thats exactly what we want to achieve, i.e. curdle the milk. Just proceed with the recipe.

      Delete
  19. mine wasn't like yours, in your pic milk water doesn't separate but in mine milk water separates and milk solids were floating in it.i used fresh cows milk should i use packet (tetra pack)one ?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I made them and they turn out superb great recipe thanks a lot I have posted pic on your face book page please check it I made them first time ever hope they will be more perfect in future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts