Bake it up and bake it down!!!

I am quite fond of chocolate cookies; have even tried my fair share of chocolate cookie recipes but I must confess that they have not all been great.

Cookies, especially with granulated sugar in the ingredients, are certainly high up there on my "Recipes That Scare Me" list. Somehow they usually turn out either too thin, bubbly, dry, or crunchy. Not that I am not getting the science behind this failure; its just that I dont have the patience to cream the butter and sugar properly and dont even let the dough rest in the refrigerator for a while - just because my sweet tooth starts getting mad if I make it wait that long. Sometimes, I feel that when God was handing out patience, I was certainly standing in the wrong line or mustve got frustrated of waiting and left. I am so not a good waiting person and that surely is a reason why most of my dishes never turn out how I want them to.

Anyways, coming back to the cookies, I actually have a whole lot of chocolate cookie recipes bookmarked to try – but the one Ive baked recently was indeed worthy of sharing. Its just sooooo simple and easy that one doesnt need much expertise to make and the result represents exactly what my definition of a perfect home-made cookie is: It should be chewy, a little crispy around the edges but barely done in the centre and above all  - rich chocolaty in flavour.







Chewy Chocolate Cookies

Ingredients:

1-1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup dutch-process cocoa
1/2 cup  butter, room temp
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 drops vanilla essence
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped white chocolate
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used pecan)

Idea adapted from :
http://www.browneyedbaker.com


Preheat the oven to 160 C and line two baking trays with parchment paper.




Sieve together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder in a bowl.





Take a bowl and beat the butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Tip: if you feel that the granules are not ready to cooperate with you, try microvawing for not more that 15 seconds and then beat again .









 Add in the vanilla essence and mix.





Start adding the flour mixture. Add half of it first and some milk as well and beat on low speed just until incorporated.





 Add rest of the dry mixture and the milk and beat until combined.





Using a spatula, fold in the chopped white chocolate as well as the nuts. Chill in the refrigerator for atleast 15 minutes.












Divide the dough into 12 portions (for larger cookies) or 24 for smaller ones. Make small balls, place on the lined trays and press down on them to flatten a bit. I made six bigger ones and 12 small cookies!!

Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes on the lower support. Rotate the tray front to back, tranfer onto the upper support of the oven and bake for another 8-10 minutes.

The cookies are done!!! Tip:  Please note that the cookies are still soft and will get a crunchy texture once cooled outside the oven. DO NOT OVERBAKE!!!!






Let the cookies cool completely on the baking trays.  Remove from the parchment paper. Store in an airtight container.





A glass of cold milk is all you need to complete this luscious treat!!!



Comments

Popular Posts