Causa Peruana

Geography had never been my subject back in good old school days. Even today, if you ask me to show you on a map as to how many countries I have been to in my life, I would probably not be able to answer you but my love of cooking has helped me learn about so many great places on the globe that I wouldve never found on my own otherwise. Food can be an excellent guide to exploring the world as learning to know about the origin of your favourite food is often as interesting as its taste.

Sometimes a very famous and popular dish can have its roots in places you wouldve probably never thought of going to in your life. Exploring and trying the cuisine of a country youre not familiar with can be really interesting: you either love it or reject it. It can be a hit on your list or a disastrous flop.

Its only a few weeks ago that I saw the picture of this amazingly beautiful dish made out of mashed potatoes and tuna fish and since the name itself spoke for the origin, I had no difficulty finding more about it. After making it a couple of times in my kitchen, I can only suggest that if you are a fan of eating potatoes and tuna is your flavour, trust me, Peru is the place you really want to know about:)







Causa Peruana


Ingredients:

4 big size (yellow)Potatoes
3 tbs Vegetable Oil
1 small red Chili (I used Piri Piri from the jar with a slight tangy flavour)
1 tbs Lime Juice
1/2 can of Tuna
1 Spring Onion, finely chopped
2 tbs Mayonnaise
2 tbs Sweet Corn
1/4 Avocado (plus for garnishing)
Salt and White Pepper
Black Olives
1 Boiled Egg


Peel and cut the potatoes in cubes. Boil in salted water. Mash while still hot as they are much easier to handle then. Place aside to cool. Add in the chopped chili, vegetable oil, lime juice, salt and pepper.





Mix the tuna with the chopped green onions, sweet corn and mayonnaise. Season with salt and white pepper.






Ive decorated the plate by spreading three layers of tomatoe ketchup, mayonnaise and green avocado sauce each. Using a wooden skewer, made the following pattern.




Now place a ring mould on the plate (or as I did, empty a food tin can, e.g. the normal aluminium tins containing preserved food like tuna, sweet corn, beans or fruits etc. Remove the ends by either pulling the tab on one end and cutting the other side with a can opener. Or cut both sides with the opener. Make your own mould this way). Place a layer of the mashed potatoes in the mould on the serving dish. Press firmly and cover with a layer of boiled egg slices followed by a layer of tuna mayo.

Cut the avocado in slices (or purree it, season with salt and pepper) and lay on top of the eggs. Spread another layer of potato mash and press a bit. Carefully pull the tin upwards and decorate with avocado and spring onions as well as black olives.




Tip: Use only vegetable oil. Olive oil is NOT recommended. For a hot and spicy kick, you may like to add more chili. You may also like to add a pinch of green food colour to the avocado sauce to add a refreshing look.

For the Avocado Sauce, I took:

1/2 Avocado
4 tbs fresh Coriander Leaves
4 tbs Yoghurt
2 tbs Fresh Cream
1 tsp Lime Juice
1 clove Garlic
Salt and Pepper to season
1/4 tsp Green Food Colour

Blend together all the ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Add in the green food colour.

Comments

  1. hi fatima,nice work....really lovely presentation....so these days u r busy making AND eating lovely dishes u r producing...keep up the good work and all the best!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved Avocado dips but I must say this one is a hit. And your ideas make me wonder how simple things can be turned into something exquisite through a creative mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isnt the dip amazing??? Try using in a sandwich, youll be surprised how delicious it tastes. And are you calling ME a creative mind:P thanks hun...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts